- A Village is a grassroots effort that addresses the needs of older adults who wish to Age In Place in the homes and neighborhoods they love.
- A Village is a self-governing group of members focused on providing services and programming to meet the changing lifestyles of members as they age.
Why is ChaiVillageLA different from all other Villages?
- ChaiVillageLA is the only village in the United States that is based on Jewish values.
- Village members must be affiliated with one of the synagogues which have partnered to form the village: Temple Emanuel of Beverly Hills and Temple Isaiah.
What kinds of services and programming can I expect from ChaiVillageLA?
We have a full calendar of events and members can participate now.
- Programming--both social and educational--is now available to all Village members. For example:
Walking and other recreation groups
Cultural events and museum trips
Discussion groups and book clubs
Shabbat dinners and brunches at members' homes
Village-wide celebrations of Jewish holidays
- Volunteer-Provided Services include:
Small home repairs
Rides for members to doctors, markets, synagogue, etc.
Help with the ChaiVillageLA website
- ChaiVillageLA programs are open to all members regardless of location. Services are offered to residents of areas including:
and adjacent areas
Who provides and coordinates the services and programming?
- Member volunteers lead programs and coordinate Interest Groups.
- The ChaiVillageLA office manages service requests and helps find Village volunteers to fulfill those requests.
Who are the members of ChaiVillageLA?
- If you are a member of Temple Emanuel of Beverly Hills or Temple Isaiah, you will be pleased to know that many of your friends and neighbors are already members of the Village.
- Currently we have over 200 members ranging in age from 55 to 95.
Do I have obligations to the Village?
- In keeping with our Jewish values, including Tikkun Olam (Healing the World), ChaiVillageLA encourages all Village members to explore and engage in volunteer opportunities, whether within the Village or outside of the Village. In fact, studies examining older adults' satisfaction with their lives show that helping others leads to self-reported better mental and even physical health.
- Examples of Village opportunities include:
Driving another member to a doctor appointment
Bringing a meal to a sick Village member
Making check-in phone calls to housebound Village members
Helping a member having computer problems
Leading a Village activity
Working on a Village committee
Helping in the Village office
How much does it cost to become a member of ChaiVillageLA?
For 2017 the cost of annual membership is $100 for an individual and $150 for a household.
How can I sign up to become a member of ChaiVillageLA?
You can fill out the on-line membership application by going to Join Us and clicking Sign Up Online.
Please note: you must be a member of a participating synagogue (Temple Emanuel of Beverly Hills or Temple Isaiah) in order to join ChaiVillageLA. To explore synagogue membership, please contact:
Temple Emanuel of Beverly Hills - (310) 288-3737 or
Temple Isaiah - (310) 277-2772
If you do not wish to fill out your application online, or you have questions, please contact Devorah Servi at the ChaiVillageLA office at (310) 592-0321 or Devorah@ChaiVillageLA.org.
Can I make a donation to ChaiVillageLA even if I am not a member?
Yes you can--and thank you! Please visit the Donate tab of our website to see information about how to donate as well as an online donation form. If you prefer to speak to someone in our office, please contact Director Devorah Servi at (310) 592-0321 or Devorah@ChaiVillageLA.org.